Monday, August 23, 2010

Back to School Time

Because we work on Saturdays, Mondays are our day off. Today in the middle of the day, I went for a run. As I was running, I was struck by how much traffic there was. I also noticed lots more people than usual milling around throughout the streets. I was wondering if today was a national holiday that I had somehow missed when I realized that today was the first day back to school for most of the students here in Fresnillo. I was running right around the time the kids got out from school, and so I saw lots of moms or dads meeting picking their kids up after school on foot or by car as well as older students walking home on their own. The last couple of weeks, the stores have also had all sorts of school supplies on sale and and on special display. It reminded me that even though in some ways it's different (the language, the school itself, the schedule, etc.), there are some things that are the same in any culture. I think that the ritual of "back to school" is a monumental day no matter where you live.

I also want to give a "shout-out" to my old fourth-graders (the most recent ones, my class 2008-2009)...they just started their third week of middle school today. I miss you all and hope it's going well! I am sure you are each doing great! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment